Monday, November 16, 2009

Spring(steen) in Fall

Hello Bloggerheads. Well, I can't resist talking about this past weekend. 7:30 am Saturday, hopped on the Lurie et. al. party bus to Madison from the Brown Deer Park and Ride. The bus was decked out in Badger (and, sigh, Michigan) gear and usual accoutrements of a Badger game, meaning 15 different kinds of alcohol. The bus roared away to the sound of the Badger marching band CD at full volume and the popping of the first Buffalo Waters (yes, I provided -- and it was 5 o'clock somewhere).

It was a great day. 55 degrees. The sun peeked through. Lobster bisque was served at the tailgate party. And the game was excellent, as Tolzien threw for four touchdowns and the defense was stout. Mom and I stayed for the fifth quarter, sang Varsity twice and the Bud song once, and back to more partying. Lots of friends at the Mike Hart tailgate (he is from Michigan, went to Wisconsin), saw actually a few students (the Lurie boys, Charlie Roozen) and generally soaked it all in. The bus back? International singing star Nick Howard was on the bus, and just happened to have his guitar! Imagine that. Well, it was rock, and roll, and rock all the way back.

Whew. Took a nap, woke up to watch the last half of the Bucks game, and there was Brandon Jennings, the Bucks 20 year old phenom guard, scoring 29 points in the third quarter and finishing the game with 55, a new Bucks rookie record and the Bucks won.

Sunday. The day revved up when the Packers game started, and they pulled themselves off the floor beating the hated Cowboys. Ben W and I had great sushi at Sake Tumi and settled into the Kohl box at the Bradley center for Bruce. He was revved up, moreso than usual. By song 3 he was being body passed by the adoring crowd halfway across the Bradley floor. He sang, in order, the whole Born to Run album, the band absolutely kicked butt (and these guys are my age -- there is hope!) and went three hours 12 minutes no break. Here is the show:

8:18 Lights Out (Max on Drums, No Patti)

1. Cadillac Ranch
2. Badlands
3. Hungry Heart(Crowd Surfing)
4. Working On A Dream("Good evening Ohio")
5. Thunder Road
6. 10th Avenue Freezeout
7. Night
8. Backstreets
9. Born To Run
10. She's The One
11. Meeting Across The River
12. Jungleland
13. Darlington County
14. Waiting On A Sunny Day(10 y/o sings, and asks for/recieves drum
stick)
15. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Request)
16. Loose Ends (Request) "I get it- are you loose?"
17. Jole Blon (Request)
18. Growin Up (Request)
19. Into The Fire
20. The Rising
21. No Surrender


22. LIVING PROOF(sign)
23. Kitty's Back
24. American Land
25. Dancing In The Dark
26. Rosalita
27. Higher And Higher





On "Living Proof" the band hadn't played it that tour (maybe ever). Bruce sets it up, offers to do it himself, challenges the band, and they literally did it perfectly, with Bruce giving hand signal chords and changes to the band as he sang it. Unbelievable musicianship. Finished with a cover of "Your love keeps lifting me higher, than I've ever been lifted before...."

OK I'm bragging. Fun weekend. Now let's hear about some of your adventures!!

XXX DAD

6 comments:

  1. I think that your comment of "there's hope" is ridiculous!! YOU ROCK DAD!! Who else can keep going all weekend, when just the blog makes me want to go to sleep!! And I'm going to have to call you a dork for remembering the exact order of the songs... I feel that this was an embellishment. If not, please lie, because otherwise you'd be subject to every one of us (except Tim, probably) calling you a nerd. Tim'd probably do it too, but also memorize how the welds were on the stage... Yeah, I'm not embellishing on that one! Ha!

    Glad you had fun at the game!! Do it more often!! Next time, though, please have normal tail-gate food. LIke burgers. Not bisque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I admit I got the song list from some major Bruce-0-Phile who texted as the show went on, and I fouund it on Google. I did NOT have a pen in my shirt pocket for the concert, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about "brilliant disguise"?! i would've requested that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, he never plays that. It was written when he briefly married and broke up with Julianne Phillips popular actress in the early 80's. Maybe too close to home now with his rumored issues with current wife Patti Scialfa.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.