Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I passed!

Hey fam! So, I passed all 5 sections of the Doctoral Competency Exam!!! Sherri, the administrative assistant at my school, took pity on me for having real dreams and not sleeping. I mean, I have REAL dreams. They are so real that sometimes I wake up thinking it really happened. This is confusing when I dream about events that are supposed to take place the next day, and wake up wondering if I already did them. So, Monday night, I fell asleep on the couch, as usual, and Tim woke me up at around midnight to go upstairs. I fell right asleep, and dreamt that I went to the mailbox and got the letter... I woke up thinking I must have slept 5 hours or so, looked at the clock... 2am... wah wah... Then I was so excited from my dream that I could not go back to sleep!! SO, yesterday I emailed Sherri and she said I could come pick up the results after 5. YES! I was so nervous driving there, my legs were weak, I could have been crying, but no one was in the car to see, so lets say I was not crying... I got into school, and it was 4:40, the president and clinic director were in the office, so I had to sit and wait a little. I noticed that there were a ton of people walking past me that I did not know! I guess I really am out of that school... It was 4:55pm, and Sherri stealthly slipped me the letter... I ran out to my car to read it (I didn't want to have a break down in front of these new students... They're new, and don't need to be scared like this just yet; they'll learn in time...) So, I got to my car and...
"Dear Alison,
It is my pleasure to inform you that you passed all five sections of the Doctoral Candidacy Examination, which you wrote June 15 through June 17, 2009. You have now passed the major examination.
Congratulations on achieving this important milestone on the path toward your doctoral degree. You are officially granted doctoral candidacy in your clinical program in clinical psychology at the Wisconsin School of Professional Psychology.
Again, congratulations from the faculty and administration.
Sincerely,
Howard Haven, Ph.D.
Dean"
YAY!!!!!!! I called mom and dad right away, and can only assume I freaked them out by my screaming. They had to tell me to calm down and tell them what's going on! Mass texts were sent out, and everyone said they "knew it." Well, you may have known, but I did not. I was told that "a lot of child people will not be so happy." Meaning, people failed. My friend failed 4/5 sections, meaning he has to redo the entire thing. I have only heard that one adult friend passed all 5, and another child friend that passed all 5 as well. The rest of the people will find out on Thursday, as the letters will go out today. Thank God I didn't have to wait until after my trip to find out about that. I would not be sleeping the entire time!
So, then I played softball, and since Tim did not have his phone to know this wonderful news, I basically tackled him when he got there. Good thing we have been practicing lifts in dance, because I ran at him with full force! After softball, we went to dance class, and everyone there was really excited too!! They saw me on Wednesday after the final test, and provided me with a beer while I tried on fancy ballroom dresses (dont worry, m&d, I did not buy a ballroom dress that costs more than my wedding dress, by 3x!)
So, this is over. I am officially done with tests and courses from that school. All that is left is my dissertation, which is in full swing to be done by next summer. After that, I am officially a doctor! Wow... Jessie and Katie, it is really weird to be an adult and grow up. Just you wait and see... What was I thinking, growing up so fast in one year? Getting married, being a doctor, what the hell? I guess that is how life goes now that I am in my "mid-to-late twenties." With checking a new box on forms comes a bunch of changes in life.
Today I have to get all my crap ready for this stupid vacation to stupid hot Florida. Why did I agree, you ask? Because it sounded fun at the time. As I look at how much crap I have to do, and how hot it is here, I am second guessing my previous thoughts. I am going to be hot, and its going to be hot, and we all know how that goes for me. Actually, I read an article that my extreme aversion to hot was increased with the diagnosis of fibro. Awesome. Oh well, I am going with people that have known me for years, and know that I can't really help myself when I am hot... Leslie and Sarah are good friends.
On deck of things to do when I get back:
1. find an apartment in IL
2. find out who won So You Think You Can Dance (very important!!)
3. Make the wedding cake topper (its going to be awesome!!)
4. Collect photos for the DJ to create the slide show
5. Start organizing the data for my dissertation and send it to the company that is going to score it for me
6. Plan the ceremony, who is reading, etc.
7. Get the rings
8. Make Tim decide what the groomsmen are going to wear, and have him tell them
9. Make my scrapbook from my road trip
10. Make the programs. 

Not that bad of a list! I think I can do that in 15-20 days! Miss you WCs (nice coined term Mom!) Have fun in cape cod Jessie!!!
Love you all! Thank you all for all your support!!

3 comments:

  1. What a great post -- I am kvelling. You have passed a milestone, exams you never have to take again and an accomplishment no one can take away from you.

    Something tells me you will get through your list, and then some, with flair.

    Love and Congrats, xxx ooo DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats sweetie (altho' I was one of those very confident people). Hope you have fun in Marco Island. See you when you get back! XOXOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats al. why wasn't i on this mass text though? ?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.